In 2024, expect challenges for the U.S. economy as resilience wanes amid rising household debt and job cuts. Global growth may slow, posing risks amid geopolitical tensions, but it could ease inflation pressures. Prepare for volatility, but also opportunities ahead.
Entering 2024, central bank policy changes, rising government debt, geopolitical tensions, and consumer vulnerabilities will likely challenge equity markets. Active managers may find opportunities in overlooked sectors like energy and materials. Amid uncertainty, focusing on investing fundamentals is crucial.
Despite 2023 ending on a strong note, 2024 brings expectations of economic slowdown. While inflation is likely to subside, higher borrowing costs will challenge consumers. Opt for high-quality, short-maturity yield assets amid a central bank rate pause.
Despite 2023’s surprises, 2024’s outlook is complex. Amid the uncertainty, strategic allocation and active management can create opportunities for investors in the year ahead.
Alternative investments face challenges amid ongoing monetary policy measures. A potential U.S. recession and stricter banking sector regulatory oversight add complexity. However, opportunities do exist, and private equity, real estate, and inflation-sensitive assets may thrive in 2024.
For Public Distribution in the United States. For Institutional, Professional, Qualified and/or Wholesale Investor Use Only in other Permitted Jurisdictions as defined by local laws and regulations.
Investing involves risk, including possible loss of principal. Past Performance does not guarantee future return. All financial investments involve an element of risk. Therefore, the value of the investment and the income from it will vary and the initial investment amount cannot be guaranteed. Asset allocation and diversification do not ensure a profit or protect against a loss. Inflation and other economic cycles and conditions are difficult to predict and there Is no guarantee that any inflation mitigation/protection strategy will be successful. Equity investment options involve greater risk, including heightened volatility, than fixed-income investment options. Fixed‐income investment options are subject to interest rate risk, and their value will decline as interest rates rise. Real estate investment options are subject to risks associated with credit, liquidity, interest rate fluctuation, adverse general and local economic conditions, and decreases in real estate values and occupancy rates. Real assets include but not limited to precious metals, commodities, real estate, land, equipment, infrastructure, and natural resources. Each real asset is subject to its own unique investment risk and should be independently evaluated before investing. As an asset class, real assets are less developed, more illiquid, and less transparent compared to traditional asset classes. Lower-rated securities are subject to additional credit and default risks. International and global investing involves greater risks such as currency fluctuations, political/social instability and differing accounting standards. Risks of preferred securities differ from risks inherent in other investments. In particular, in a bankruptcy preferred securities are senior to common stock but subordinate to other corporate debt. Emerging market debt may be subject to heightened default and liquidity risk.
This material covers general information only and does not take account of any investor’s investment objectives or financial situation and should not be construed as specific investment advice, a recommendation, or be relied on in any way as a guarantee, promise, forecast or prediction of future events regarding an investment or the markets in general. The opinions and predictions expressed are subject to change without prior notice. The information presented has been derived from sources believed to be accurate; however, we do not independently verify or guarantee its accuracy or validity. Any reference to a specific investment or security does not constitute a recommendation to buy, sell, or hold such investment or security, nor an indication that the investment manager or its affiliates has recommended a specific security for any client account. Subject to any contrary provisions of applicable law, the investment manager and its affiliates, and their officers, directors, employees, agents, disclaim any express or implied warranty of reliability or accuracy and any responsibility arising in any way (including by reason of negligence) for errors or omissions in the information or data provided.
This material may contain ‘forward-looking’ information that is not purely historical in nature and may include, among other things, projections and forecasts. There is no guarantee that any forecasts made will come to pass. Reliance upon information in this material is at the sole discretion of the reader.
This material is not intended for distribution to or use by any person or entity in any jurisdiction or country where such distribution or use would be contrary to local law or regulation.
This document is intended for use in:
- The United States by Principal Global Investors, LLC, which is regulated by the U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission.
- Europe by Principal Global Investors (Ireland) Limited, 70 Sir John Rogerson’s Quay, Dublin 2, D02 R296, Ireland. Principal Global Investors (Ireland) Limited is regulated by the Central Bank of Ireland. Clients that do not directly contact with Principal Global Investors (Europe) Limited (“PGIE”) or Principal Global Investors (Ireland) Limited (“PGII”) will not benefit from the protections offered by the rules and regulations of the Financial Conduct Authority or the Central Bank of Ireland, including those enacted under MiFID II. Further, where clients do contract with PGIE or PGII, PGIE or PGII may delegate management authority to affiliates that are not authorised and regulated within Europe and in any such case, the client may not benefit from all protections offered by the rules and regulations of the Financial Conduct Authority, or the Central Bank of Ireland. In Europe, this document is directed exclusively at Professional Clients and Eligible Counterparties and should not be relied upon by Retail Clients (all as defined by the MiFID).
- United Kingdom by Principal Global Investors (Europe) Limited, Level 1, 1 Wood Street, London, EC2V 7 JB, registered in England, No. 03819986, which is authorized and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority (“FCA”).
- United Arab Emirates by Principal Global Investors LLC, a branch registered in the Dubai International Financial Centre and authorized by the Dubai Financial Services Authority as a representative office and is delivered on an individual basis to the recipient and should not be passed on or otherwise distributed by the recipient to any other person or organization.
- Singapore by Principal Global Investors (Singapore)Limited (ACRA Reg. No. 199603735H), which is regulated by the Monetary Authority of Singapore and is directed exclusively at institutional investors as defined by the Securities and Futures Act 2001. This advertisement or publication has not been reviewed by the Monetary Authority of Singapore.
- Australia by Principal Global Investors (Australia) Limited (ABN 45 102 488 068, AFS Licence No. 225385), which is regulated by the Australian Securities and Investments Commission and is only directed at wholesale clients as defined under Corporations Act 2001.
- This document is marketing material and is issued in Switzerland by Principal Global Investors (Switzerland) GmbH.
- Hong Kong SAR (China) by Principal Asset Management Company (Asia) Limited, which is regulated by the Securities and Futures Commission. This document has not been reviewed by the Securities and Futures Commission.
- Other APAC Countries/Jurisdictions, this material is issued for institutional investors only (or professional/sophisticated/qualified investors, as such term may apply in local jurisdictions) and is delivered on an individual basis to the recipient and should not be passed on, used by any person or entity in any jurisdiction or country where such distribution or use would be contrary to local law or regulation.
- Nothing in this document is, and shall not be considered as, an offer of financial products or services in Brazil. This presentation has been prepared for informational purposes only and is intended only for the designated recipients hereof. Principal Global Investors is not a Brazilian financial institution and is not licensed to and does not operate as a financial institution in Brazil.
Insurance products and plan administrative services provided through Principal Life Insurance Co. Principal Funds, Inc. is distributed by Principal Funds Distributor, Inc. Securities are offered through Principal Securities, Inc., 800 547-7754, Member SIPC and/or independent broker/dealers. Principal Life, Principal Funds Distributor, Inc., and Principal Securities are members of the Principal Financial Group®, Des Moines, IA50392.
© 2023, Principal Financial Services, Inc. Principal Asset ManagementSM is a trade name of Principal Global Investors, LLC. Principal®, Principal Financial Group®, Principal Asset Management, and Principal and the logomark design are registered trademarks and service marks of Principal Financial Services, Inc., a Principal Financial Group company, in various countries around the world and may be used only with the permission of Principal Financial Services, Inc.
MM13800 | 3251554